February 2014 Vol. 37, No.2
POSTMAS TER: Send address changes to Research, P.O. Box 2162, Skokie, IL 60076-7822. Allow four weeks completion of changes. n Research (ISSN 192-172X USPS 001-755) is published monthly by The National Underwriter CO,
DBA Summit Professional Networks, 5081 Olympic Blvd., Erlanger, KY 41018-3184. Subscriber rate is $60 per year domestic and $95 per year international. Periodical postage paid at Covington, KY and additional mailing offices.
COPYRIGHT© 2014 by The National Underwriter Company, DBA Summit Professional Networks. All rights reserved. No part of this magazine may be reproduced in any form without consent. n To Order: call (800) 458-1734, or
write Research, PO Box 2162, Skokie, IL 60076-7822. n Research Magazine does not render investment advice and does not endorse or recommend the business, product, or securities of any company mentioned in an issue or report.
Research does not guarantee the accuracy or thoroughness of the information reported. Profiles of companies featured in Research Magazine are independently prepared, reviewed by the companies for factual accuracy and printed
in the magazine. Research Magazine receives a fee from featured companies for its assistance in the preparation of these articles for publication, and these profiles may be considered advertising for the purposes of 18 U.S.C. 1734.
14. 24. 18.
3. RESEARCH REPORTER Raymond James announces that Chet Helck is retiring, and Cerulli
reports on client-advisor relationships.
BY JANET LEVAUX
5. FUND REPORTER Lipper shares its analysis of und performance for Q4’ 13, and Morningstar
releases its list of nominations for 2013 U.S. Fund
Managers of the Year.
BY JANET LEVAUX
8. EXCHANGE-TRADED PRODUCTS REPORT A snapshot of key ETF price trends and prospects.
BY RONALD L. DELEGGE
10. ANNUITY ANALYTICS Advice the next generation needs.
BY BOB SEAWRIGHT
14. What Makes a Successful Retirement?
Studies paint a new picture of how retirees spend
time and money.
BY MICHAEL FINKE
18. When Financial Advice Gets Religion
Matters of faith play a large role in some advisory
BY JANE WOLLMAN RUSOFF
24. Tapping the Potential of Client Experience
Successful advisors take a highly personalized
BY ELLEN UZELAC
59. THE GLOBAL ECONOMY Get Ready for a World
Economy Led by China
Do not underestimate the implications of China’s
BY ALEXEI BAYER
61. SALES SEMINAR Take the Best Path to
Introducing a new series on implementing best
BY BILL GOOD
63. INVESTMENT SENSE How Indexing Distorts
Index funds’ growth brings investing into
BY MARSHALL JAFFE
THE INVESTMENT SECTION
29. Investment Section
Portfolio managers and analysts share their views on
why Midstream MLPs are attractive to investors and
why they are upbeat on the “toll road” business model.
49. Midstream MLP
31. Midstream MLPs